By Deepak Atri

For many couples the ultimate joy is creating a full family, which includes the pitter-patter of little feet. Unfortunately, for some, this is not always possible via natural means. At this point, there are only a few viable options including fertilization treatments, surrogacy or adoption. If you have been considering your options, you may have a ton of erroneous information; you might even believe that infant adoptions are no longer done domestically. The good news is you can adopt a baby domestically, sometimes even newborns. Here are a few other pieces of misinformation you may have been fed over the years.
Newborn Domestic Adoption
Newborns

There is a huge myth circulating that newborn infants are no longer put up for adoption in the United States. This is blatantly false, in 2011 there were 20,000 infants placed for adoption domestically. Why do people believe there are no more babies? Perhaps it is the number of high profile celebrity adoptions conducted out of the country, whatever the case if you are considering adoption you should know there are babies available.

Birth Parents

Another big reason potential adoptive parents shy away from the process to adopt a baby domestically is fear of the birth parents. Everyone has heard the horror stories of birth mothers who were coerced into giving up their child or a birth father who was not properly notified about the adoption. These cases make great headlines, but how common are they really? Statistics vary and many adoption consultants will tell you this happens 5% of the time or less. If it happens to you, it is definitely devastating, but remembers you have an equal chance of being one of the 95% where things go smoothly.

Note: How long a birth parent has to change their mind is dependent on the adoption laws in the state the baby was born. In some states, the birth parents are asked to sign an irrevocable consent four days after the birth of the child and in other states; there is a 30-day period where either or both birth parents can change their mind.

Cost

Is it expensive to adopt a child? This depends on whether you use adoption consultants and which one you choose. Estimates can reach as high as $30,000 from start to finish, but you should know there are some cheaper alternatives available. For starters, would you be surprised to learn that not all states require social worker intervention for private adoptions? This is definitely a case where what you do not know can hurt you.

Conclusion

What is the moral of this story? There is probably a lot about adoption that you do not know or is in error. Adoption is a wonderful way for couples who would otherwise never be parents to expand their families. If you want to adopt a baby domestically, make sure you do your homework and if you use adoption, consultants research them thoroughly. There is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to the adoption process however, with a little time and effort you too will find your way to a happy and larger family.

If you would like more information about how to adopt a baby domestically, check out: http://www.theadoptionblueprint.com you may be surprised at how simple the process can actually be!

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7335365

Image courtesy of [image creator name] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Advertise on Mom at Last

Read More Articles on Domestic Adoption

Our Truth About Adoption

Breastfeeding an Adoptive Baby

Has Your Life Been Changed by Adoption?


Comments

Adopting Domestically – Myths and Tips — 1 Comment

Join the Conversation!

Business Gypsy Web Design