A pregnant woman who miscarried after the cruise ship wreck off the coast of Italy last month is set to sue the vessel’s owners for one million euros in damages, Italian media said Saturday.
The 30-year-old Italian, identified only as Cristina M, was four months pregnant when she set off on the Costa Concordia cruise on January 13. Though she escaped the sinking ship in a lifeboat, she was admitted to hospital last week with a miscarriage.
Her doctors said she likely lost her baby because of the intense psychological stress suffered both during the night-time evacuation and when her lifeboat smashed up against rocks as it headed for the nearby shore.
Christina M’s lawyers will add her to a class action against Costa Crociere and seek one million euros ($1.3 million) in damages for the miscarriage, reports said.
The 114,500-tonne liner with more than 4,200 people aboard ran aground on rocks off Tuscany’s Giglio Island and lurched on to its side as passengers were settling down to dinner shortly after the start of a Mediterranean cruise.
Up to 32 people are feared to have died in the January 13 disaster, which has led to a host of legal claims against the stricken ship’s parent companies….Continue Reading
More Resources on Miscarriages